Friday, January 22, 2016

The Unpopular Opinion Book Tag

I saw Christine do this on polandbananasBOOKS and liked it so I thought I'd give it a try. I enjoy a lot of things but here are some of my opinions about books!

1. A popular book series you didn't like.
The Hunger Games. I just could not get into the writing style or the completely miserable life of basically everyone. This will come up later but this was when I learned I really didn't enjoy reading dystopian YA. Honorable mention: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard.

2. A popular book or series that every one else seems to hate that you love.
I know it's going to be hard to believe but I didn't hate Fifty Shades of Grey. There are a lot of problems with it, and I don't think it's the greatest book ever written, but, much like Twilight, it was mostly entertaining and mindless. I definitely don't *love* it, but I like it more than a lot of people. 

3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with or an OTP that you don't like.
It's not a love triangle per se but I'm still upset that Harry and Hermione were never a thing.

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
DYSTOPIAN *sighs aggressively*

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like. 
Katniss from The Hunger Games. While I admire her courage and survival skills, I just could not bring myself to care about her character. 

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into.
Victoria Aveyard, author of Red Queen (though she is great to follow on twitter)!

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing.
The reluctant hero. I'm all for epic stories, especially fantasy, where there's the unlikely hero or heroine but I am tired of having the main character be forced to care about this grand role and then reluctantly basically sacrifice everything for something they never wanted (and don't really care about). Lately I'm digging characters that jump head first into things and actively decide to do whatever they are supposed to do. 

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
I read Red Queen a while back, after getting an ARC at ComicCon in 2014. However, I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I was going to, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to read the rest of the series. 

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
In this case, there are two movies that I don't necessarily think are better than the books but are really good movies in their own respects. I think that Stardust is a great movie and I personally enjoyed it more than the book. Another movie that is just a good movie is Howl's Moving Castle, which is so completely different from the book (which is also very good) that I don't really even consider them comparisons of one another. 

Anywho, I hope you enjoyed this tag! It's fun to get some of my unpopular opinions out there.

*Red Queen was a popular unpopular opinion for me but all the power to those who love it! :) Differing opinions - yay!

Happy Reading!

Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment